By Niral Patel, State Parliamentarian
Browse around on the Michigan BPA webpage, and you may find yourself sifting through tabs about parts of our organization that you didn't even know existed. One community of BPA that you may not fully understand is our Alumni Association. Business Professionals of America is a widespread organization that tries to be as inclusive as possible with all members, including those who have graduated high school or college and can no longer compete in events. As a result of this, there is an established community of alumni who still continue to contribute to the organization.
BPA Alumni spend their time assisting members and advisors at each of the available conferences. You may run across a few at your regional conference, and, if not, will for sure encounter several at the State Leadership Conference. There are a range of activities that alumni are involved in at these conferences, including:
● Coordinating the activities of the local chapter
● Assisting with committees
● Forming a Business Professionals of America advisory committee
● Sponsoring or chaperoning a field trip or conference trip
● Serving as judges in local competitive events
● Helping students prepare for competitive events
● Participating in the student Special Olympics project.
● Serve as a guest speakers at regular meetings, banquets, and regional meetings.
● Present talks and workshops on career development and related topics. These topics may include committee effectiveness, officer leadership training, and sessions on how to apply for a job, how to prepare for the interview, what students should know about the business world as they graduate, and preparation for competitive events.
Their primary purpose is solely to ensure that the BPA experience is the best for you and every other member. They want to give back to the organization that provided so much for them (and, hopefully, you as well).
If you have been enjoying your experience as a member of BPA, be sure to thank the alumni for their help. They are taking time out of their busy lives to help you build your future. If you find yourself loving this organization as much as they do, you should definitely consider becoming a part of the Alumni Network, so you yourself can give back to the organization that has done so much for you.
If you want to learn more about our alumni association, you can check it out at http://www.bpa.org/membership/alumni.